Best afro of ’06
1. TV on the Radio – Return to Cookie Mountain
Once again, TVOTR is un-pidgeon-hole-able
2. The Rapture – Pieces of the People We Love
I liked them before, I love them now.
3. Thom Yorke – The Eraser
Doesn’t make me think “aww…good for him going solo, but he should’ve
kept the band.”
4. Islands – Return to the Sea
Whimsical and prettified, but substantial, too
5. Beirut – The Gulag Orkestar
It’s like a much better version of the Borat soundtrack
6. Pablo – Half the Time
Unlike anything else.
7. Quantic – An Announcement to Answer
An extension of his expertise at weaving genres and squashing
everything you thought you knew about DJs.
8. Radio Citizen – Berlin Serengeti
Mellow, but with character. Perfect for impressing the girls you bring
back to your apartment after hitting the bars.
9. Skyzoo and 9th Wonder – Cloud 9, the 3 Day High
No, this isn’t a mistake. Stop hating on hip hop and try it on for size.